Tim & Debs

Monday, March 05, 2007

I am hungry


I came across this piece by Father Martin Morgan. Apparently he delivered it at a Brighton Labour Party Conference church service that he was presiding over. Take it as you want.


I am hungry
And you pray for me
I am sleeping rough
And you pity me
I have left home and parents
And you wonder whose fault it is
I am young and sell my body in order to eat
And you hide in your morality
I am naked
And my nakedness makes you uncomfortable
I am in prison
And you are glad that you are out of harm
I am a single parent
And you tell me what a drain on resources I am
I am 'black'
And you feel you have to be nice to me
I am gay
And you secretly despise me
I am old and forgetful
And you know what's best for me

You throw money at my problem
But I am still here
And so is the problem

But most of all day-by-day and week-by-week
You pray for me

Prayer is supposed to change us
So why have you not changed?
Because when you do
Then so will all of us
And you and I will see the world
Through God coloured spectacles



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home